We’re all for a stiff Manhattan, but when the thermometer’s still pushing 80, we can’t help but reach for something more refreshing. We turned to the folks at Cocktail Courier, a craft cocktail service that delivers recipes, booze, and all the fixings to your door.
Well, as long as your door is in New York City or Chicago. The recipes come from bigwig bartenders. This one—a refreshing taste of bourbon and spicy ginger—comes courtesy of Derek Mercer of Chicago’s Spiaggia Restaurant and Lounge.
What you’ll need:
- 2 oz Bulleit Bourbon
- 1 oz ginger-cardamom syrup
- .5 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 dash Scrappy’s Cardamom Bitters
- 1 oz Fever-Tree Club Soda
How to do it:
- Chill Collins glass by placing it in the fridge or freezer or by filling it with ice water.
- Measure and pour all ingredients, except club soda and garnish, into shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice, place top back on, and ensure the shaker is securely closed.
- Give shaker 10 quick and vigorous shakes.
- Remove top of shaker, add measured amount of club soda, and swirl shaker to combine all ingredients.
- Place top back on shaker and strain contents into ice-filled Collins glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel in Horse’s Neck style. (Note: To create Horse’s Neck style, begin by taking a potato peeler to one tip of the lemon. Peel all the way around the lemon until half of the lemon is peeled. Then, take the peel and squeeze between thumb and forefinger downwards over the drink so the oils on the outside of the skin drip into the drink. Finally, insert lemon peel into cocktail with half of the lemon peel hanging over the rim of the glass.)
Photo Credit: SisboomBlog.com